No Play of Another Name Could Act as Sweet

Guests+attending+The+War+of+Roses+clap+to+Izzy+Morin%E2%80%99s+introduction+to+their+play+as+they+describe+the+inspiration+that+led+to+the+creation+of+the+script.+

Photo Credit: Chris Moody

Guests attending The War of Roses clap to Izzy Morin’s introduction to their play as they describe the inspiration that led to the creation of the script.

Izzy Morin’s student-written play, The War of Roses, premiered the evening of April 26 to an endearing audience in the Black Box Theater. 

Morin walked onto the stage, describing the piece’s composition and the inspiration derived from the infamous death of George Floyd during their sophomore year of high school. 

A piece on class division and social hierarchy, The War of Roses was a statement piece meant to rock the hearts of an audience willing to open their minds and apply the concepts to the lives around them. 

Starring drama students like seniors Weller Dorff, Amirah Trotter, Sam Rudderow, Alexa Crossly, and Emma Mark, the play had dramatic flair alongside a bold message. 

Beginning with an officer interrogating protesters from a parade, the performance switched narratives per character and their perspective of the spectacle through a different class lens. 

Similar to movements today, the purpose of the different colored roses was to display the burgeoning diversity in America, and the judgment that comes with being treated like an other on the basis of skin tone.

Izzy specified, “As far as inspiration, there were a few main things, such as Shakespeare’s quote, “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” I genuinely don’t like the smell of roses, and also I disagree, as well as the culture of judging people after something they have no control over (sex, race, creed, etc.) and the idiocy of such.” 

A 25-minute play encouraged viewers to think deeply about the prejudices that rage within ourselves and the world around us.