Too Hot to Handle

Cold spells, disheartening droughts, and dwindling precipitation come and go, but what if they were to stay? Global warming is no longer just a threat or a proposed theory. Hurricanes, floods, fires, and earthquakes rattle the globe at alarming rates. The human race quite possibly will struggle to fight for a rapidly wilting world.

Gatsby Hemingway, Editor

Heat in the atmosphere directly results in an increase in wind speeds of tropical storms.

NASA stated,“Warming increased the maximum potential wind speed of hurricanes by 1 knot, according to hurricane intensity models.”

Hurricane Harvey,  in September of 2017, was the largest, worst rainstorm ever to be recorded in the United States.

There have been six major hurricanes in 2017.  Irma was a category five hurricane, the strongest hurricane ever recorded to form in the Atlantic Ocean outside of the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean.

Climate change can influence the intensity of natural disasters dramatically, as well as the severity and destruction of the storms.

This intensity will not lessen any time in the future.

Harvey and Irma cost 290 billion combined, which is more than Katrina and three other major hurricanes that happened in 2005 costing 143.5 billion.

The amount of storms is alarming, but the intensity is higher than ever.

Tropical Storm Maria, quickly turned into a category five storm, which had been previously a rare occurrence.

Colorado, is no exception of these catastrophic storms. The Colorado River, the most important waterway in the southwest, is shrinking rapidly and could decrease the water flow by more than a third by the end of this century.

Floods struck homeland in 2013 when a cold-spell and the hot atmosphere collided, resulting in eighteen inches of rain in a very short period.

The average annual precipitation is twelve to eighteen inches. The damage in Colorado was colossal.

AP Biology teacher Mrs. Amerine spoke about global warming around the world and in the Cheyenne community.

“It’s good to take individual steps to prevent further damage and decrease your carbon footprint. The best way to get the message across is to educate other people,” Amerine states.

January of 2016 hurricane-force winds swept over Colorado. The wind speeds reached 101 mph leaving 28,000 District 11 students without a bus. This was due to a state-ban on high-profile vehicles. The ban of vehicles was put in place to prevent buses carrying students from being blown over.

“We have exceeded the CO2 capacity that is sustainable for human life, and it is still on the rise,” Amerine said.

Though global warming is an issue around the globe, the Cheyenne community also plays a huge part in creating a cleaner environment.